Mon Oct 28; JSerra 12, Mater Dei 6 = League Win !!!
GO LIONS !
- Great finish to a fantastic season! The 'stacked doubles' lineup that coach moved to mid-season, worked the way it was designed. The girls discerned Mater Dei was stacking their doubles lineup and were worried, but coach said, "We're dancin' with who we brought. It's like the wishbone from football in the 70's, you know what's coming, but can you execute." Mater Dei's plan backfired, as we swept 8 of 9 doubles sets, soundly defeating our arch rival.
- Jadie Acidera lost only 1 game in 3 sets, Eliza Day with Mary Kaffen only lost 3 games in 3 sets, Nilou Sheybani defeated a girl she has been chasing for 3 years, 7-6, and Lauren Burke played a most heroic set vs that same girl. Natalie Wek and Zoe Kaffen captured all 3 sets, but were down 4-5, love - 40 before capturing their 1st set. Bridgette and Tatum Reddington added 2 sets to our total.
- It was senior day and special thanks is needed for Mrs Day, Mrs Portice and Mrs Burke as they provided flowers, gifts and balloons for the seniors.
- Coach is really happy as it appears that all players have peaked just in time for CIF playoffs and Samantha Ramirez is healed and available. Hopefully, we will have 2 teams in the league finals in doubles and Jadie in the finals of singles, resulting in 5 individuals participating in the exclusive CIF individual Championships !
Thurs Oct 24; JSerra 4, Santa Margarita 14 = League Loss
- The proverbial home field advantage proved itself prophetic as the Lions could not muster the energy they had in the initial meeting at the JSerra Tennis Complex.
- Jadie Acidera lost a highly competitive match vs. Alexandra Krogius, 6 - 7 with both teams, parents, SM football, JSerra girls basketball all whoopin' and hollerin' , ala a college tennis atmosphere. Mary Kaffen and Eliza Day added 2 doubles points while Natalie Wek with Zoe Kaffen captured the 4th point. Coach was disappointed with the outcome, but not the team. "Basically, they have 2 'Jadies' we have only 1 ".
- The team needs to regroup for the finale as they host Mater Dei next Monday.
Tues Oct 22; JSerra 17, Rosary 1 = League Win !!!
- Back to back matches did not phase the Lions as they traveled up the 57 fwy to play the Royales at Fullerton CC .
- Still missing some players to the same academic field trip from the previous day, coach blended in subs that performed well; Rachel Test picking up a point in the set she played and Monique Farha teamed with starter Lauren Burke taking 2 of the 3 doubles sets they played. Jadie, Eliza, Mary, Zoe/Kaffen, Tatum/Bridgette won all of their sets played. Rosary is a sophomore-filled team and had their hands full with the counties 8th - ranked team, your Lions.
- The rematch with Santa Margarita is on the horizon Thursday, 'up there' as we play for our 1st league championship.
- Go Lions !
Mon Oct 21; JSerra 12, San Juan Hills 6 = Win !
- A rescheduling by San Juan Hills from 1st week of play, left us with this late season non-league contest.
- The Lions were missing a handful of regulars who needed some academia involvement. Fortunately, Jadie Acidera and Eliza swept their 3 singles sets as did Tatum and Bridgette Reddington in doubles giving us 9 points, while Natalie Wek with separate partners, Samantha Ramirez and the Sheridan Hauk tossed in a 2 pointer, with 2013 Homecoming Queen Monique Farha and Lauren Burke sinking a free throw for the 12th point.
- The Lady Lions take a 17 - 1 record into the last week of league play.
Tues Oct 15; JSerra 14, Orange Lutheran 4 = League Win !!!
- JSerra Lady Lions continued their winning ways by defeating league foe, Orange Lutheran 14 -4 today at the JSerra Tennis Complex.
- Sweeping all 3 singles sets decisively was Jadie Acidera and also Mary Kaffen. Mary had a great win over OLu's #1 player 6-2 her first victory over this top player. Zoe Kaffen with Natalie Wek and Tatum and Bridgette Reddington both swept their 2 sets played before sitting, allowing for all six JSerra subs to compete in round 3. Monique Farha with Sage Petersen finished the hat trick for the Reddingtons with a 6 - 3 decision over OLu's #3 team. Nilou Sheybani and Lauren Burke added another doubles point.
- This brings the teams league record to 4 - 1, 13 - 1 in dual play, 16 - 1 including tournament play.
Thurs Oct 10; JSerra 9 @ Mater Dei 9; JSerra wins on games 71 - 67 = League Win !!!
- The team has a bye this Thursday before a non league game Monday, resuming league play the 22nd vs. Rosary @ Fullerton JC.
- The Lions dodged a bullet today, squeaking out a match on total game count 71 - 67. "Winning Ugly" by Brad Gilbert, is in Coach Kirks' library and he wants to file this one in that section.
- Winning all 3 singles sets, while dropping only 2 games, was Jadie Acidera. Natalie Wek and Zoe Kaffen swept all 3 sets in doubles. Mary Kaffen with Eliza Day took 2 doubles sets, while the Reddingtons, Bridgette and Tatum captured 1 set. But everyone added games to the total count, even in set losses; Nilou Sheybani, Lauren Burke and Kendall Chiate.
- Coming off their 1st loss of the season Tuesday coupled with competing against former Lions, turned Monarchs, Valerie and Vanessa Bukowski, made for a difficult outing.
- The second half of league play starts next week as we travel to Fullerton to play Rosary, then host OLu Thursday at home.
- The team stopped by their annual post MAter Dei victory spot, ARRIBA GRILL in Metro Pointe, owned by JSerra parents Rick and Denise Zak = our favorite celebration spot !
Tues Oct 8; JSerra 7, Santa Margarita 11 = League Loss
- JSerra, the #7 team in the county, suffered their first loss of the season yesterday to Santa Margarita, 7 - 11. The girls competed VERY well and some bright spots appeared, mainly, newly-formed doubles team of Mary Kaffen and Eliza Day. Mary and Eliza swept through their opponents 6-3, 6-0, 7-5, a great job against the #4 team in the county. Jadie Acidera dropped her 1st set of the year, losing to Katie Chang [niece of Michael Chang] 1 - 6.
- Tatum and Bridgette Reddington along with Lauren Burke and Kendall Chiate all competed valiantly as they were all switched to singles in this lineup.
- At the end of the 1st round of play, it was tied 3 - 3, and looking like a 6 - 6 split at the end of the 2nd round, but the Lions dropped a tough doubles set right at the end, putting the Eagles up 7 - 5. JSerra needed to take 4 of the last 6 sets just for a tie, but the uphill battle was too tough.
- Special thanks to "ringmaster/referee" coach Mary Rossignol [JSerra basketball] who had her whole team in attendance!!! Best rooting section ever!
Thurs Oct 3; JSerra 16, Rosary 2 = League Win !
- Coach Orahood needs to get the girls regrouped as they travel to Mater Dei Thursday, always a strong program, especially with the addition of former Lions, Valerie and Vanessa Bukowski.
Mon Sept 30; JSerra 9 @ Tesoro 9 [80-JS to 79-T games] = BIG WIN !
- JSerra moves to 13 - 0 in overall record; 10 - 0, dual play, 3 - 0 tournament play, 2 - 0 in league.
- This is by far our best start. Rosary was able to sneak away with 2 doubles victories, with JSerra sweeping ALL of the singles matches, most of them by scores of 6 - 0. Jadie Acidera, Mary Kaffen and Eliza Day and sub Nilou Sheybani added 9 out of 9 singles points, while Zoe Kaffen with Natalie Wek and Bridgette and Tatum Reddington sweeping 6 points in doubles. Kendall Chiate and Lauren Burke added the 16th point.
- Big test this next week! GO LIONS !
Thurs Sept 26; JSerra 16 @ Orange Lutheran 2 = LEAGUE WIN !!! Playing away does not seem to phase this team!.
- One of the biggest wins in our history! Almost prophetically, today, the OC Register had moved JSerra to the #7 spot jn the county and placed Tesoro right behind them, reversing last weeks rankings. Well, the Lions couldn't let the Register down and obliged them with this slimmest of margin upset win !
- We knew it may come down to total games at the end and EVERY GAME COUNTS in this tiebreaker; so I am going to list all the girls who contributed to this fantastic team effort. Jadie Acidera, Mary KAffen, Eliza Day, Zoe KAffen/Natalie Wek, Samantha Ramirez/Nilou Sheybani, and Lauren Burke/Kendall Chiate/Rachel Test. We lost to this team last year in preseason and then in the CIF state playoffs.
- Sidenotes: A Special prayer was offered up in remembrance of Cameron Cooke, former JSerra student-athlete, killed by a drunk driver....today is his birthday
- Welcome back to Samantha Ramirez after lengthy shoulder rehab; this was our 6th straight away match.
Mon Sept 23; JSerra 16 @ St. Margarets = win !
- The Lady Lions notched their 11th straight victory in their 1st league match of the season today. Jadie Acidera was awesome winning 6-0, 6-0, 6-1. Eliza Day swept all 3 of her sets too, with an impressive win over OLu's #1 player, Diana Aboubakare, 6-4; Diana was the #3 player in the Trinity League last year. Tatum and Bridgette Reddington swept all 3 doubles in the # 3 slot, while Natalie Wek and Zoe Kaffen added their customary 3 wins
- JSerra traveled down the freeway to play for the city [of San Juan Capistrano] championships.
Friday and Saturday Sept 20 and 21 JSerra SWEEPS Sage Hill Prep InvitationalHistoric wins over tennis powerhouses St Ignatius of San Francisco and Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas on consecutive days, identical scores 5 - 4, combined with a 7-2 win over Sage Hill earned us the title in this prestigious prep event ! I am going to copy and paste Facebook WOW ! What a day ! One of the biggest upset wins in our short history! FROM FRIDAY:
- It did not take long for this match to be decided as the Lions came out swinging from the initial bell. Jadie Acidera and Mary Kaffen swept all 3 of their singles sets played as did doubles teams of Natalie Wek with Zoe Kaffen and Bridgette Reddington with her sister, Tatum. Lauren Burke won both of her sets played in dbls and so did Eliza Day in singles.
- So the city championship stays at JSerra for the 2nd straight year! Well done, Lions!
- The JSerra Womens Tennis Team upset the top seed, St. Ignatius from San Francisco, in the 1st round of the Sage Hill Prep Classic! Yearly, JSerra participates in this elite prep school event, hosted by Sage Hill. We play Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas at noon today in this college-scoring format.
- Winning their singles mtches yesterday were, Zoe Kaffen, Eliza Day, and Nilou Sheybani at numbers 3, 4, and 5 singles respectively; which gave us 3 points out of 9, going into the doubles. Natalie Wek and Zoe Kaffen quickly disposed of their opponents at the #2 dbls slot, we dropped the #1 and #3 dbls in close fought battles, BUT, my #4 doubles team of LAUREN BURKE and KENDALL CHIATE came from behind to capture the 5th point we needed to win the match! This is a great example of tennis really being a team sport and other players REALLY being able to contribute!
WOW ! What a day ! One of the biggest upset wins in our short history!... No! not a re-post, same headline, different day !
Thursday Sept 19; JSerra 13 vs San Juan Hills 5 = Win !
Wed Sept 18; JSerra 13 vs Mission Viejo 5 = Win !
- 6 Straight as the Lions reigned in the visiting Stallions.
- Coach Orahood pulled most of the starting lineup after the 1st round, and all but 1 doubles team for the final round.
- Lauren Burke with partner Kendall Chiate swept all 3 doubles sets. Natalie Wek/Zoe Kaffen and Bridgette/Tatum Reddington won the 2 sets they played. Grace Portice and Sheridan Hauk picked up a dbls point and so did Nilou Sheybani in singles.
- Jadie Acidera and Eliza Day won the only sets they played, while Mary Kaffen was untested in 2 sets of victorious singles.
- A very tough Friday/Saturday for the top players coming up, followed by literally a Day of Rest, Sunday, then St. Margaret's next Monday.
- GO LIONS !
Five in a row for the Lady Lions, who, along with the football team, cracked the top ten in Orange County. Mission is a well-coached program and the Lions played well to achieve this win.
Singles players JAdie Acidera, Eliza Day, and Mary Kaffen swept all 9 singles matches as did Zoe Kaffen and Natalie Wek in doubles. Tatum and Bridgette Reddington added another point by outplaying Mission's #3 doubles team. Eliza Day came from behind to defeat Mission's #1 singles player in the last match of the day, as both teams applauded the fine efforts of both players.
The fans really appreciate the new seating arrangements and updates to the JSerra Tennis Complex. Come check it out !
Tues Sept 17: JSerra 14 vs Sage Hill 4 = Win !
- Two years in a row over this tennis powerhouse ! Our record is 4 - 0 ! Sweeping all 3 sets played were JAdie Acidera and Mary Kaffen in singles , then also, Natalie Wek/Zoe Kaffen and Bridgette/Tatum Reddington swept all 3 of their respective doubles sets. This gave us 12 points with Eliza Day adding an extra singles set with a win over Sages #1 player and Nilou Sheybani with Lauren Burke picking up the 14th set.
- The opposing coach introduced us as the #10 team in Orange County; I tried to correct him, saying that was from last year, but he said "No" !, we have moved back up. I will check on this.
- We play a lot of tennis this week; Mission on Wed, San Juan Hills Thurs, an elite high school Fri/Sat back down in Newport, Sage Hill as host.
Friday Sept 13; JSerra 10 vs Saddleback Valley Christian 2 = Win !
- The Lady Lions were not very neighborly [scoreboardwise] to our neighbors across the street. Using a mixture of varsity subs, JV players, and a varsity doubles team [one round only], JSerra gave up only 2 close singles sets all afternoon. Winning all their doubles sets played were; Tatum and Bridgette Reddington, Nikka Contursi with Sage Petersen, Grace Portice with Gabby Deitos, and Lauren Burke with partner Kendall Chiate. Sweeping both of their singles sets against Saddleback's best were Rachel Test and Monique Farha! Welcome back, Monique!
- Things toughen up next week as varsity travels to The Tennis Club of Newport Beach to play Sage Hill Lightning; followed by Mission Viejo on Wednesday.
Thurs Sept 12; JSerra 14 vs Trabuco Hills 4 = WIN !
- The Lady Lions traveled to Trabuco Hills HS, without team co-captain and #2 singles player, Eliza Day and #2 doubles player, Samantha Ramirez. Their teammates picked up the slack though with all of these people sweeping all 3 sets played; Jadie Acidera and Mary Kaffen in singles, then Natalie Wek with Zoe Kaffen and sisters Tatum and Bridgette Reddington in doubles.
- Things get tougher next week as we travel to Newport Beach to play Sage Hills. We are trying to work our way back in to the top 10 again. [Not really sure how we dropped out].
Tues Sept 10; JSerra 13 vs El Toro 5 = WIN !
- The 2013 edition of the Lady Lions won their season opener over El Toro at home yesterday. Freshman, Jadie Acidera swept all 3 sets at #1 singles without giving up a single game. Mary Kaffen swept all 3 sets as did Zoe Kaffen with Natalie Wek in doubles. Tatum Reddington with her sister, Bridgette and Eliza Day won both sets they played, as coach subbed liberally, getting all girls into the match.
- Special welcome back to Monique Farha, who played very well. Kendall Chiate and Lauren Burke had a great match vs. El Toro's #1 dbls team. Sheridan Hauk with partner Grace Portice and Sage Petersen had tough matches subbing in vs. the Chargers # 1 players, respectively. Nikka Contoursi and Gabby Deitos lost a hard-fought tiebreaker 6-7.