JSerra Catholic High School has developed the Student Educational Resource Program (SERP) to support students with documented learning challenges. SERP recognizes the need to provide a learning environment which fosters growth and supports the individual needs of all students. SERP is one segment of an academic support team which encourages and supports collaboration to create an environment in which all work together for the common good of each student.
SERP services for qualified students include, but are not limited to:
- Extended time, with up to 50% additional testing time
- Distraction-free environment and the use of the SERP Testing Center
- Option to take a Study Skills class period (for credit for four semesters). Class is a 10:2 ratio. Each student is assigned a mentor teacher who specifically assists with grade and assignment tracking, organization, and study skills. Academic support is also provided during this period. All incoming ninth grade students are required to take this course during their freshman year.
- Walk-in academic assistance by the SERP teachers is provided before and after school. Students who do not have a SERP class period are encouraged to take advantage of this assistance.
- Classroom and testing accommodations are implemented based upon each student’s diagnosis.
- Collaboration, student support, and conferences are facilitated between parents, teachers, and staff as needed.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SERP
Admission into SERP includes results from a comprehensive psycho-educational assessment. A current IEP, with diagnosis, is also acceptable. This assessment must:
- Be current, having been completed within the last three years.
- Include results from a cognitive ability test ( such as the WISC-IV) as well as an academic ability test (such as the WJ-III).
- Include a specific diagnosis made by the testing professional, along with a listing of the tests and scores utilized to arrive at this diagnosis.
- Include a complete educational, developmental, and relevant medical history.
- Include an explanation of current classroom and testing accommodations recommended based upon the diagnosis.
WE ASSIST OUR STUDENTS...
- With individualized academic support provided in small (10:2) class settings each period of the day. SERP study skills classes help students to manage their work loads effectively and establish successful learning strategies.
- With additional academic support offered during zero and eighth periods.
- By promoting communication with their teachers and parents. We encourage SERP students to utilize effective means of communication when discussing their needs in order to receive the most effective accommodations for their specific learning challenge.
- Through the Testing Center, which provides a distraction-free environment in which students receive a 50% time extension
- By teaching students life skills necessary for success as they go forward. Throughout the program, students are taught about self-advocacy, accountability, and other essential tools for continued success after graduation.
WE ASSIST OUR PARENTS...
- By facilitating communication with the student, their student’s teachers, and JSerra staff. We utilize all forms of communication and make ourselves readily available to SERP families. In addition SERP assists students and their parents in the application process for ACT, SAT and other College Board tests.