Humanities Program and Application
JSerra's Humanities Program is a two-period course that presents an integrated English and Theology curriculum in the tradition of the Classical Liberal Arts.
Drawing on the great thinkers, writers, philosophers, and artists of Western Civilization, the course will form students' minds through an education of the heart. Humanities takes a thematic-historic approach that follows a four-year trajectory from the Ancients to Post-Modernism, studying the foundations, high points, and centrality of Christian culture and the Catholic worldview in forming an understanding of the human person. Focusing on readings in English and Theology from the Western canon and Christian culture, the program will seek to uncover the common thread that weaves all great ideas together: Christ revealed through the good, the true, and the beautiful.
- This inter-disciplinary, two-course program uniquely combines Theology and English in a thematic-historic curriculum.
- Students will earn a total of 20 academic credits (10 Theology Honors and 10 English Honors).
- Class enrollment will cap at 20 students, conducive to vibrant discussion.
- Instruction will be conducted in a seminar-style approach.
- This is a freshman-level class for the 2021-22 school year and will expand to a four-year curriculum.
- Candidates should be prepared for substantial independent reading and active class participation.
- Prerequisite: Students must qualify for English 1 Honors through results of their HSPT test.
Humanities Four-Year Themes
Freshman: The Origins of Christian Culture
Sophomore: The Christian Worldview
Junior: The Modernist Project: Threats to Christianity
Senior: Christianity's New Springtime: Transforming Culture
The deadline to apply for the 2022-2023 school year is April 1, 2022.
For additional questions about the Humanities Program, please contact Mr. Pat Reidy at email@example.com.