It is the mission of JSerra Catholic High School to develop the faith, intellect, and character of young men and women. The Student Educational Resource Program (SERP) fosters growth and provides a learning environment which supports the individual needs of all students. The Horizons Program at JSerra broadens this mission to include students with a wide range of intellectual abilities.
Horizons at JSerra provides an inclusive educational experience for students with special needs. It is a language-based academic program with an emphasis on processing information through listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Students with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities or learning delays benefit from inclusion in a variety of academic courses coupled with individualized curriculum design. Horizons allows students to integrate as completely as possible into JSerra life through participation in select classes and campus activities. Upon completion of the program, students receive a Certificate of Completion.
- Possess the ability to independently perform all aspects of daily living
- Possess the ability to interact in group situations with minimal distraction to self and others
- Have no history of conduct or behavior problems
- Possess a willingness and ability to uphold the rights and responsibilities of students at JSerra as defined in the Parent-Student Handbook
- Have a current (within 3 years) psycho-educational assessment report or IEP/Multi-Disciplinary report
- Possess math and English proficiency equivalent to 3rd-6th grade levels
- Possess a level of academic achievement which indicates success in past learning environments
- Completion of the JSerra admission application, in addition to the Horizons' application and parent questionnaire
- Testing results from a current IEP or a private psychoeducational testing report
- Parent and student interviews
- One or more observations of the student in his/her current classroom
- Teacher and/or counselor interviews and recommendation forms
- A minimum of one Shadow Day at JSerra
- Horizons' inclusive class curriculum is based on the JSerra curricular framework and is individualized to match each student's ability level.
- Horizons' students will attend select classes, in part or in their entirety, as determined by their ability level and interest.
- Inclusive, individualized curriculum will be developed for each Horizons' student in conjunction with the Horizons' instructor and SERP Director.
- Horizons' students earn a Certificate of Completion upon finishing their approved Horizons' curriculum.
- Tuition for students participating in the Horizons program is set at tuition and a half.
Learn more by contacting SERP Director Denise Dale at 949.493.9307 Ext. 1017 or firstname.lastname@example.org.