JSerra’s Choral Music program has performed for audiences around the world, including Spain, Italy, and Carnegie Hall. The choral program puts on four large annual concerts, regularly competes in prestigious festivals and competitions, and performs in a variety of events for the JSerra and larger Orange County community. Our most competitive choirs — Chamber Choir and Advanced Women’s Ensemble — are open by audition while Concert Choir provides an opportunity for any interested student to learn to sing in a group setting.
This virtual audition is for all incoming and existing singers interested in Chorale or Advanced Women's Ensemble.
1. Make a video and state:
- Name, grade during the 2020-2021 school year, and voice parts (soprano, alto, tenor, or bass).
- Describe your experience in choir or singing in general including number of years.
- List any instruments you play and for how many years.
- Briefly explain why you want to be in Chorale or AWE.
2. Record a video of you singing the first two verses of the "Star-Spangelled Banner" in any key acapella:
Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
ADDITIONALLY FOR CHORALE AUDITIONS ONLY:
3. In the same video, sing acapella starting on any pitch:
- Major Scale on numbers, solfege, OR neutral syllable ascending then descending (Ex. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 OR do re mi fa sol la ti do do ti la so fa mi re do)
- Major Triad on numbers, solfege, OR neutral syllable (Ex. 1 3 5 3 1 OR do mi sol mi do)
Send your video to Mrs. Rachel Asmus at email@example.com by Thursday, April 30, 2020.