First-Year Advisors help ease the leap into high school by providing freshmen with a warm welcome and assisting them through the transition from middle school to high school.
The First-Year Advisor (FYA) will provide the earliest peer supported foundation for JSerra's first year students. Serving as an on-going advisor during the critical first year and ensuring a smooth transition into and guidance through JSerra. The FYA, as a mentor and model, will serve as a vital component of the educational experience. Empowering first year students to develop and implement sound educational and social plans that are consistent with their own personal values, goals and future plans. Our purpose is to guide first year students to become successful independent engaged learners and decision makers.
First-Year Advisors will:
- Uphold the Mission Statement
- Participate in advisory sessions during summer school or the fall semester
- Organize and execute Freshmen Orientation
- Remain in good standing citizenship with all JSerra Staff members and in accordance with the JSerra Parent Student Handbook
- Serve as a positive role model on and off campus exemplifying Faith, Intellect, and Character.
First-Year Seminar Course
This First-Year Seminar Course is built to ensure a meaningful transition into high school. Built to ensure a meaningful transition into high school, this course is required for all freshmen. Students will learn about JSerra, improve their academic skills, seek out campus resources and build relationships.
This introductory course is broken into three components: academics, campus life, and community standards:
- The academic component introduces students to JSerra's co-curricular programs, faculty expectations, Microsoft access, and study skills.
- Further supported by the campus life component's inclusion of Campus Ministry, extra-curricular programs, JSerra's history and available student services.
- The final component, community standards will integrate student health and well-being with etiquette ensuring a holistic education.
Staff guest speakers, First-Year Advisors, and the instructor will foster an environment that will encourage active and collaborative learners.
The homework expectation is 1-2 hours per week for only one semester. Students will receive 5 credits.
How to Apply
As part of student leadership at JSerra, students must apply at the end of their sophomore year to be First-Year Advisors. If accepted, they will be FYAs during their junior and senior years.
For more information about First-Year Advisors, please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.