Formerly known as Link Crew, Life Leaders help ease the leap into high school by providing freshmen with a warm welcome and assisting them through the transition from middle school to high school.
To be a Life Leader, as part of student leadership at JSerra, students must apply at the end of their sophomore year. If accepted, they will be Life Leaders during their junior and senior years.
Becoming a Life Leader
Each year we look for exceptional sophomore student leaders sometime after Spring Break. Your job as a Life Leader begins with our planning day called May Development Day, which takes place during 6th period on or around May 1st and continues throughout both your junior and senior years.
As a Life Leader, you will be with each of the freshmen classes, two years in a row, at their Freshman Orientation in August, and then you will move onto many more leadership events throughout the year.
The last event with your "family" (AKA life group) will occur when these freshmen are sophomores and begin the application process to take your job and become Life Leader themselves.
If you apply to be a Life Leader, you are making a two- year commitment to student leadership. At the end of each school year, as a current sophomore, you will be required to show both traditional and nontraditional leadership, by truly exemplifying Faith, Intellect and Character, all the virtues we look for in a JSerra graduate.
Qualities we are looking for in Life Leaders are men and women of:
- Manifest their love for God and others through a life of prayer and service.
- Engage in their faith as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Respect the sanctity of life in all stages.
- Honor the dignity of others as sons and daughters of God the Father.
- Practice humility in light of the glory of God.
- Seek wisdom by pursuing the true, the good, and the beautiful.
- Employ analytical and abstract thinking to formulate arguments and solve problems.
- Develop the art of well-reasoned and persuasive communication.
- Embody a strong work ethic and habits of professionalism.
- Demonstrate magnanimity to shape a more dignified culture.
- Exhibit fortitude and leadership in the face of adversity.
- Model a spirit of joy and gratitude in response to God's gifts.
- Discover greatness through the fruits of collaboration.
- Emanate charity, humor, and grace in daily interactions.
- Demonstrate integrity through unity of word and deed.
Qualities we also want to see in our Life Leaders are:
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to lead others
- Responsible enough to manage a family of freshmen and sophomores for 1-2 years
- Accountable to show up throughout all phases of the student leadership program during the year and make this job a priority
- Willing to take risks
- Interested in helping others
- Positive role models on campus and off campus
- Dedicated to JSerra
- Self-confident and self-directed with great follow-through
- Respectful of diverse ideas and personalities
For more information about Life Leaders, please contact Activities Director Michele Chenault at email@example.com.
A growing number of studies shows that if freshmen have a positive experience their first year in high school, their chance for success increases dramatically. The JSerra Life Leaders promote a more compassionate and connected student body.
Michele Chenault, Activities Director