National Honor Society
NHS at JSERRA
The NHS Chapter at JSerra Catholic High School serves to honor students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service and Character. These characteristics have been associated with membership since the organization's inception.
It is important to understand that chapter membership not only recognizes students for their past accomplishments, but also challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service. In addition, students must remember that membership is an honor and a privilege and is not a right accorded to the academically eligible student
For more information, contact Faculty Moderator Carol deBoisblanc at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eligibility Requirements & Membership Obligations
- National Honor Society Selection
- Service Hour Opportunities
- NHS Tutors
- Files to Download
Qualifications & Requirements
NHS welcomes all junior and senior students with a CUMULATIVE weighted academic GPA of 4.0 or above. Students are considered for membership based on their academics, service, leadership and character. Each student is reviewed by both their teachers and the dean’s office to ensure they will be a positive representation of the high standards of National Honor Society. Students must have been attending an American high school for one year to be eligible to apply and in attendance at JSerra Catholic High School for one year.
What is expected of members? National Honor Society members are student leaders who show resourcefulness, promote school activities, are dependable and exemplify positive attitudes. Members of NHS show excellent character and uphold the principles of morality and ethics. Members are cooperative, reliable and show courtesy and concern for others. NHS members maintain a good and clean lifestyle. Each member of National Honor Society understands the importance of civic involvement and has a high regard for freedom, justice, and democracy.
- NHS members must maintain a 4.0 weighted academic GPA.
- No violations of academic integrity. Violations will result in an immediate removal from NHS.
- NHS members are allowed one absence per semester for monthly meetings.
- Absences are closely monitored by NHS officers and all absences must be reported to Mrs. deBoisblanc.
- Any member in violation of the attendance policy will be removed from NHS.
- Members are required to serve a minimum of 10 hours of service per semester.
- Service hours can be obtained through the NHS Teacher Assistant program.
- To be a Peer Tutor, NHS member must have an A in the subject.
- Members are required to attend one JSerra cultural event per semester. This can be a play/ art show/ choir performance, etc. This will fulfill 2 service hours per semester.
- Members are required to help with activities including, but not limited, to the Thanksgiving Food Drive, Adopt-a-Family for Christmas, and the Dance and Lilies of the Valley Orphanage Service Project. Service hours vary by activity.
National Honor Society promotes recognition for students who reflect outstanding accomplishments in the areas of character, scholarship, leadership and service. Through NHS chapter service activities, members maintain and extend the qualities that win them selection. Membership is an honor and a commitment. It is a privilege, not a right.
Student Activity Information Forms must be submitted in a neat and well organized form. The selection process decisions are final. To ensure fairness, the Faculty Council is given national rules and regulations as well as the guidelines of the J Serra Catholic High School Chapter prior to evaluation. Not all students are awarded membership. Even if a student meets all of the requirements, membership is not guaranteed.
Carefully read over the membership requirements. Before committing to filling out your information form, please remember that you must meet ALL the qualifications below. Forms that are not properly completed or received after the posted deadline will not be considered for membership. In accordance with the bylaws of National Honor Society, late forms will NOT be accepted for consideration.
Summary of Requirements
- Junior or Senior year
- Cumulative weighted GPA of 4.0 or above. Members are required to maintain this GPA throughout the year.
- At least one year in attendance at JSerra Catholic High School
- No incidence of academic dishonesty
- Students must submit 2 formal recommendations.
- 1 written recommendation from a teacher who can speak about your honor and your admirable qualities.
- Neither recommendation is to come from a family member.
- Both recommendations must be placed into sealed, signed envelopes and attached to the back of the application.
For questions, please contact Carol deBoisblanc at email@example.com.
Make sure to log in your Service Hours into x2vol website! It is a total of 20 hours per year — with 4 of those hours being a JSerra cultural event.
When you attend, take a picture of yourself at the event and show it to Mrs. deBoisblanc along with a ticket or program. If you are working with an outside group, please write a contact person's name and email address in the Notes section of x2vol.
Service Hours Opportunities
- Boys and Girls Club of San Clemente
- Breakthrough tutoring
- International student tutoring
- YSA: Youth Service America
- Athletic student tutoring
Tutoring is offered by JSerra students who are also members of the National Honor Society. There is no cost for their services.
NHS members must tutor a minimum of ten hours per semester as part of their service to the JSerra community as well as maintain a 4.0 GPA each semester in order to remain "in good standing" with the National Honor Society. They must exhibit exceptional character, leadership ability, and moral integrity.
For a list of tutors, please contact your student's teacher or College Counselor.