The goal of JSerra Personal Counseling is to provide a safe environment in which students can develop as a whole person spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, and physically.
JSerra offers an exceptional school environment for high school students by providing an outstanding academic program. However, growing up is not always an easy process and various problems can interfere with a student’s pursuit of success.
In order to facilitate the development of the whole person, JSerra offers assistance to students through the Personal Counseling Program so that students can reach their full potential. The Personal Counseling team seeks to be of constant support to students, families, teachers, and the administration of our school community.
The Personal Counseling Program provides comprehensive individual and family services to help students meet and overcome challenges, and gain the necessary skills to reach emotional and social maturity. We are able to offer students additional support designed specifically to teach life-long learning and coping skills to assist in increasing learning readiness.
The services offered within the Personal Counseling Program help lay the foundation for future growth and achievement.
Based on individual need, our Personal Counseling staff can provide:
- Individual counseling
- Family conferences
- Issue-specific group programs
- Referral to outside agencies
Services are available daily before, during, and after school hours.
Personal Counseling is offered to students who are referred through College Counselors, teachers, and in crisis situations. Parental permission is sought, and confidentiality is observed. The Personal Counselor meets with the student to complete a personal interview, make an evaluation, and then offer recommendations.
Personal Counseling has developed a Wellness Program that offers various programs and resources to parents and students who are interested in improving their mental health.
"I'm grateful for the JSerra's Personal Counselors who have been a constant source of support for my teen. She's learned coping skills that will prepare her not just for college but also life."
~ M.C., Parent
For students and parents who want to better their mental health, the JSerra Wellness Program offers numerous resources and programs.
The programs are put on by Academic Counseling, Personal Counseling, Campus Ministry, and Student Intervention Team. Some of the programs include:
- Monthly meetings of the Student Intervention Team (comprised of Counseling, Nurses, SERP Director, Deans, and Vice Principal) to identify students who need support and what interventions to implement
- Quarterly sessions with all students in a small group format to discuss pertinent issues of adolescence in Identity Formation
- Quarterly sessions offered for parents on pertinent parenting topics in Coffee with Courtney, Donuts with Deans, and JSerra Parent Association meetings
- Bi-annual Speaker Series for students and parents
- Discipleship groups and one-on-one mentoring through Campus Ministry
- Bring Change 2 Mind student club promoting mental health and works to end the stigma surrounding mental health
- Ongoing support and care for students and families through Personal Counseling while a student receives outside treatment
- Personalized referrals to outside resources available through Personal Counseling
- Crisis Text Line: text HOME to 741741 to connect to a crisis counselor via text
- Teen Line: text TEEN to 839863 or call 800.852.8336 from 6:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. to connect to a peer counselor
- NAMI Warmline: text or call 714.991.6412 anytime for confidential emotional support and resources
- California Youth Crisis Line: 800.843.5200
Suicide Prevention RESOURCES
"The Wellness Program events have helped open up dialogue between me and my son. Being a teenager is particularly challenging these days, and these events have given us great ways to ease into what would otherwise be difficult conversations."
~ V.A., Parent