DUPONT BUSINESS MAGNET PROGRAM
The JSerra DuPont Business Magnet Program develops future leaders who are prepared, knowledgeable, and skilled in the global business environment.
Founded in 2011, the DuPont Business Magnet Program prepares students to compete at the nation’s most prestigious business schools. The program, which has a relationship with the highly-ranked Paul Merage School of Business at UC Irvine, provides students with an instructional curriculum, co-curricular activities, and opportunities to apply knowledge to hands-on experiences to be successful in college and beyond. The program emphasizes the core values of JSerra including faith, integrity, pursuit of excellence and a commitment to service.
The curriculum exposes students to lecturers from UC Irvine and allows them firsthand experiences on the university's campus. Students receive hands-on training in resume preparation and interview skills as well as an internship during their senior year. A broad variety of courses are enhanced through Future Business Leaders of America’s conferences and competitions. Upon graduation, those completing the four-year DuPont Business Magnet Program receive a special cord and a citation on their diplomas.
Articulation through Saddleback College
DuPont Business Magnet classes are now articulated through Saddleback College (students will receive college credit):
- Intro to Business (Honors)
- Sales and Marketing (Honors
- Accounting I (Honors)
- Business Communication (Honors)
- Business Law (Honors)
- Senior Capstone (Honors)
Each of these classes receives 3 units of credit through Saddleback and is transferable to most UC and CA State colleges. Most other colleges will accept these credits, but it will be decided by the respective entity.
The DuPont Business Magnet curriculum provides students with opportunities to explore the business world while encouraging them to enjoy other interests such as sports, art, clubs, and more.
Program Costs and requirements
Fees cover FBLA fees, conferences, competitions, UCI speaker events entry fee and transportation, & various activities and events.
- 9th grade: Intro to Business Honors (year), $1,000
- 10th grade: Speech and Debate (semester) and Business Communications Honors (semester), $1,000
- 11th grade: Accounting 1 Honors (semester) and Sales & Marketing Honors (semester) $1,000
- 12th grade: Senior Capstone Honors (semester) and Business Law Honors (semester), $1,000
We strongly suggest that incoming 9th graders take First Year Seminar and Health during the summer prior to their freshman year.
JSerra students are required to complete classes in the Fine Arts. It is recommended that Business Magnet students consider taking Graphic Design, Flash Animation, Photography, Digital Photography, Yearbook, Choir, and Theater I.
Students who complete all four years will receive a Cord at graduation and Gold Star on their diploma. Students who complete three years will receive a Silver Star on their diploma.
DuPont Business Magnet fees will be billed to your FACTS account.
Additional Requirements & Applying
Minimum Requirements for entering 9th grade students
- Minimum 3.5 GPA
- Must enroll in Algebra I or higher
- Satisfactory attendance and disciplinary record
Minimum Requirements for returning 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students
- Completion of Frosh Success with a minimum “B” grade
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (no D’s or F’s)
- Satisfactory attendance and discipline record
- Up-to-date Christian service hours
In addition to the above minimum requirements for returning students, the following requirements must be met in order to be in good standing with the DuPont Business Magnet Program:
- All students must attend monthly FBLA Chapter meetings. These meetings are usually held the first Thursday of each month before school to accommodate football and other sports.
- Freshman, sophomores, and juniors must complete activities to earn their Future, Business or Leader award. These activities are self-pacing and online.
- Sophomores, juniors, and seniors must compete in the FBLA section competition. This is usually a Saturday in February.
- Sophomores, juniors, and seniors must attend the UCI Speaker Series. Students will be assigned an evening based on their grade level and the speakers schedule.
- Students who become officers will have the opportunity to attend additional training events and conferences.
*Incoming Freshmen should take Freshman Communication and Health in the summer so that their schedule allows room for 2 semester business classes during their 9th grade year.
We are now taking DuPont Business Magnet Program applications for the 2022-2023 school year.
Once your application to the school and the program have been reviewed, you will be notified via email.
Magnet Priority Application Deadline: January 15, 2022
Decision Date: March 1, 2022
Contract Return Deadline: March 15, 2022
Acceptance into the DuPont Business Magnet Program is dependent upon your enrollment in JSerra. Students accepted into the DuPont Business Magnet Program but not enrolled in JSerra by March 15, 2022 will be deferred for students who are enrolled and accepted into the program. (Apply to JSerra here.)
If you have questions about our program or the application process, please contact DuPont Business Magnet Director Anne Bergman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arizona State University
Baylor University (4)
Chapman College (2)
Holy Cross College
Indiana University - Bloomington
Loyola Marymount University (2)
New York University
Oklahoma State University
Point Loma Nazarene University (3)
Southern Methodist University
Texas Christian University
University of California - Berkeley
University of California - Los Angeles
University of San Diego (2)
University of Southern California
University of Utah
University of Wisconsin - Madison
949.493.9307 Ext. 1023
"Throughout my four years at JSerra, my most cherished classmates, my most admirable accomplishments, and my most meaningful memories have all stemmed from the Business Magnet Program."
~ Kenneth '20-