Engineering MAGNET PROGRAM APPLICATION
We are now taking Engineering Magnet Program (EMP) applications for the 2020-2021 school year. Once your application to the school and the program have been reviewed, you will be notified via email.
Priority Application Deadline: January 15, 2020
Decision Date: March 1, 2020
Contract Return Deadline: March 15, 2020
Acceptance into the EMP is dependent upon your enrollment in JSerra. Students accepted into the EMP but not enrolled in JSerra by March 15, 2020 will be deferred for students who are enrolled and accepted into the EMP.
If you have questions about the EMP or the application process, please contact EMP Director Dr. Jan Kilduff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entering 9th grade students must at a minimum place into Algebra I Honors based on their HSPT Mathematics & Composite scores with the requirement that they be enrolled in Algebra II or Algebra II Honors by the start of their sophomore year.
Students only testing into Algebra I Honors must choose from one of the options listed below*
- Complete Geometry either concurrently in their freshman year.
- Complete Geometry the summer following their freshman year.
- Complete the first semester of Geometry online the summer following their freshman year as well as the 2nd semester of Geometry online the fall of their sophomore year (concurrently with an Algebra II class to remain in the EMP).
*Students not completing one of the above will not be permitted to enroll in the 2nd year Principals of Engineering course.
Admitted EMP students wishing to test beyond Algebra I Honors as a freshman may take the JSerra Math Placement Exam, offered in May, to determine if they qualify for placement directly into Geometry Honors, Algebra II Honors.
*Students testing above Algebra I Honors by the JSerra Mathematics Exam are not affected.
- Summer prior to 9th grade (recommended, not required): Freshman Communication (s), Health (s)
- 9th grade: Intro to Engineering Design H (y), Algebra 1 H and Geometry together OR Geometry in summer or online summer and fall, $500
- 10th grade: Principals of Engineering H (y), Algebra 2 or Algebra 2 H, $1000
- 11th grade: Choose one yearlong course: Aerospace Engineering H, Civil Engineering and Architecture H, Computer Integrated Manufacturing H, Digital Electronics H, $1000
12th grade: Choose one yearlong course not taken the previous year: Aerospace Engineering H, Civil Engineering and Architecture H, Computer Integrated Manufacturing H, Digital Electronics H, $1000
JSerra students are required to complete classes in the Fine Arts.
JSerra now requires the Class of 2023 bring laptops that have touch screens with a digitizer pen. Please see Laptop Requirements for additional information.
For students particularly interested in the EMP, a computer with at least 8 GB of memory is strongly recommended rather than the 4GB as recommended on the website.