LAW MAGNET PROGRAM
The JSerra Law Magnet Program introduces students to the field of law and helps them prepare for the rigors of law school.
Founded in the fall of 2012, the JSerra Law Magnet Program is comprised of a combination of academic classes and clinical practice, emphasizing the ethical role lawyers play in society to ensure the rule of law is maintained and to help ensure justice is served when conflicts arise.
This four-year program focuses on developing students' written, verbal, and analytical skills. Students who successfully complete the program receive special recognition on their diplomas and wear law chords at graduation.
Courses with Real-World Experience
The core law courses are modeled after actual law school courses and taught by an adjunct law school professor from the Fowler School of Law at Chapman University as well as by licensed attorneys. As such, students will learn how to raise and defend an argument, develop their analytical thinking and reasoning skills, and write legal briefs. In short, students will have a solid understanding of what preparation for a legal career entails.
Essentially, JSerra Law Magnet students are receiving a substantial amount of the curriculum taught in the first year of law school. Therefore, if they choose to go onto law school, these extensive course materials and accompanying class instruction will give them a huge advantage over other future law school students. Our students will have already seen most of the first year law school course materials before they even start law school, while many other law school students are attempting to learn the same material for the first time.
College Credit and Real Estate License
Additionally, Law Magnet students will have completed all three classes necessary to sit for the California Real Estate License exam and receive college credit for the same classes. Students will then be eligible to take and pass the license exam and become licensed real estate sales agents as early as age 18.
Holding such a license at this age would enhance their undergrad and law school applications and provide a potential source of funds to help assist parents in paying for college expenses. Law Magnet students will also receive college credits for their Business/Contract Law and Criminal Law classes through Saddleback College, for a total of five (5) classes with credits at Saddleback College.
Socializing with Peers
Law Magnet students have fun! The Mock Trial program develops camaraderie and helps students forge friendships with their Law Magnet schoolmates. The program also has social activities throughout the school year that will lead to students' having fond memories of their experiences in the program
Law Magnet students are the future leaders of our community. The program's faculty and Advisory Board are committed to sharing our training, experience, and education with these students to make the world a better place.
Pat Ahle, Law Magnet Program Director
The Law Magnet Program curriculum as well as the textbooks and instructional methods are similar to what students will experience in law school. Download the sample 4-year plan below.
Program Costs and requirements
- 9th grade: Speech and Debate, Introduction to Law (Honors), $500
- 10th grade: Principles of Real Estate (Honors), Legal Research & Writing, $1,000
- Between 10th and 11th grades in the Summer: Real Estate Practice
- 11th grade: Legal Aspects of Real Estate/Property Honors, Criminal Law Honors, $,1000
- 12th grade: Business/Contract Law Honors, Constitutional Law Honors, $1,000
It is recommended that incoming 9th grade Law Magnet students take First Year Seminar and Health at JSerra Summer School. This is recommended, not required.
JSerra students are required to complete classes in the Fine Arts. It is recommended that they consider taking Theater, Choir, or 2-D Design.
Sophomore, junior, and senior Law Magnet students may participate in the fall Mock Trial training and the Orange County Constitutional Rights Foundation Mock Trial Competition. Sophomore, junior, and senior students will participate in the internal JSerra Mock Trial training and spring Mock Trial Competition.
Law Magnet fees will be billed to your FACTS account.
"I am so thankful to be a part of this program not just because it has navigated me in the right direction, but also because the memories and the friendships that this program has brought me will never be forgotten."
~ Samantha '19
Additional Requirements & Applying
- Maintain a Weighted academic GPA of 3.5 or higher (maintained through enrollment).
- Entering freshman must: a.) Submit program application with essay, b.) Complete the Freshman Communications class in the Summer session, and c.) Maintain strong attendance/disciplinary record.
- Remit $500 fee paid prior to start of freshmen year.
- Attend and participate in all off campus events/activities.
- For students accepted into the program and a MAC user, the student must have Windows 10 installed on his/her computer by the end of September of the freshman year in order to access the evidence computer game supplied by JSerra. Also note, RT Surface computers are not capable of playing the computer game. Only the Pro version is compatible with the game.
Sophomore through senior students participating in the Law Magnet Program are also required to:
- Qualify for and enroll in required courses
- Attend/participate in all required off-campus events/activities
- Remit annual $1000 program fee prior to beginning of fall classes (grades 10- 12)
- Maintain a Weighted academic GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Maintain strong attendance/disciplinary record each year
We are now taking Law Magnet Program applications for the 2022-2023 school year.
Once your application to the school and the program have been reviewed, you will be notified via email.
Magnet Priority Application Deadline: January 15, 2022
Decision Date: March 1, 2022
Contract Return Deadline: March 15, 2022
Acceptance into the Law Magnet Program is dependent upon your enrollment in JSerra. Students accepted into the Law Magnet Program but not enrolled in JSerra by March 15, 2022 will be deferred for students who are enrolled and accepted into the program. (Apply to JSerra here.)
If you have questions about the Law Magnet Program or the application process, please contact Director Patrick Ahle at email@example.com.
California Baptist University
California State University San Marcos
George Washington University
Loyola Marymount University
Point Loma Nazarene University
Southern Methodist University
University of Dallas
949.493.9307 Ext. 7077