Law Magnet Program courses are modeled after actual law school courses. The curriculum, texts, and instructional methods are similar to what the student will experience in law school. As such, students will learn how to raise and defend an argument, develop their analytical thinking and reasoning skills, and write legal briefs. In short, students will have a solid understanding of what preparation for a legal career entails.
Essentially, JSerra Law Magnet students are receiving a substantial amount of the curriculum taught in the first year of law school. Therefore, if they choose to go onto law school, these extensive course materials and accompanying class instruction will give them a huge advantage over other future law school students. Our students will have already seen most of the first year law school course materials before they even start law school, while many other law school students are attempting to learn the same material for the first time.
- Summer prior to 9th grade: Freshman Communication (s), Health (s)
- 9th grade: Intro to Professional Business & Leadership (s), and Introduction to Law Honors (s), $500
- 10th grade: Speech & Debate (s), Legal Research and Writing (s), $1000
- 11th grade: Legal Aspects of Real Estate/Property Honors (beginning with Class of 2019) (s), Criminal Law Honors (s), $1000
- 12th grade: Business/Contract Law Honors (s), Constitutional Law Honors (s), $1000
Students will participate in the Fall mock trial training and the Orange County Mock Trial Competition.