The Medical Magnet Program introduces students to health sciences and technology. This program’s curriculum is rigorous and mandates students to enroll in double science and math courses compared to the typical high school science-based curriculum. The added science and math courses will emphasize life science application.
The curriculum includes:
- medical technology
- medical terminology
- the ethics of health care
- research methods
Classroom instruction will be supplemented with lectures, observed operations, and individual meetings with eminent medical professionals such as prominent physicians, nurses, ER/operating staff, medical/radiological technicians, and C-level executives on specific days at the hospital facility.
- Summer prior to 9th grade: Freshman Communication (s)
- 9th grade: Biology Honors, Geometry Honors, Intro to Health Science Technology Honors (s), and Medical Ethics (s), $500
- 10th grade: AP Biology, Chemistry Honors, and Algebra 2 Honors, $1000
- 11th grade: Anatomy and Physiology Honors, upper division science course (per director’s approval), Pre-Calculus H, $1000
- 12th grade: Concepts of Genetics Honors (s), Intro to Neuroscience Honors (s), upper division science course (per director’s approval), Calculus, AP Calculus, or AP Statistics, $1000
JSerra students are required to complete classes in the Fine Arts. It is recommended that Medical Magnet Program students consider taking Drawing and Painting, Choral, Instrumental, or Dance courses.